Monday, October 16, 2006

Toronto Leadership Debate

I was not fortunate enough to be in Toronto for the debate, but from what I watched on TV I wish I would have been!

It seemed there was quite the lively debate - if we can even call it that- between Iggy and Rae. Iggy was the first to point out Rae flip floped on the issue of Afghanastan, in which Rae jumped all over Iggy's flip flop on the issue in the Middle East. I found this humorous and useful in pointing to the character traits of the candidates. Mr. Rae was not progressive in his purpose, and you could tell that from his smugness when paired up against Iggy.

I only hope that other people recognize the difference between a candidate who wants to win the game and one who wants to lead the party. Rae I dont think is interested in the latter; Dion I think is. Dion was passionate in the debate, he did not back down against the Front runners and voiced his perspective loud and clear for all to hear. However, my criticsm for Dion is that he was to emotional. He lacked focus, he lacked calmness and it worked against him when you think about his debate skills. But I will say that his passion was excellent and from talking with him on previous occassions, I do not doubt that his motives in this race are good.

I do think that Ignatieff did well. I wasn't overly impressed, but than again there wasn't much new that any of them could offer here except better presentation I suppose. The one thing I like the best about Ignatieff is his straightforwardness about any issue. He doesn't choose to use rhetoric in his speech, and doesnt fall into the "whos better than who" game. I particulary enjoyed his forceful statement of "absolutely not!" to Rae when questioned about the Middle East. Because Rae knows fulls well of Michael's positions, yet still judges it acceptable to play on the subject. I think he was putting on a show for television, as Marth Hall findlay put it; who I might add did an excellent job on almost every issue. She is very smart and debates well.

I know that I only mentioned four of the eight candidates, but I have my reasons. I do think that the Race will come down to Ignatieff, Rae and Dion (And I know what the delegate numbers are). I mention Findlay because I think she is doing excellent. Of course she wont win, but she is sure making a name for herself. And I think she adds a lot to the party and to the leadership race.

No comments: