Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Some musings for the day

So first, a congrats to a Liberal win in Quebec; though a very small win at that for Charest and his team. Though it was amazing to see the ADQ do so well. I believe they had 5 seats prior to the election and now they have 41! Huge jump. Its interesting that this is the first time in well over 100 years that there will be a minority government in Quebec - it surely is something to be remembered.

What does this mean? Mr. Martin told the CBC, "You have … two parties that essentially want to stay in Canada and want to make Canada work, and have another agenda other than an immediate referendum", and I think this is a great thing. I think many of us are tired of hearing about a possible referendum on the issue and its comforting in a way to know that both leading parties in Quebec do not have seperation as their agenda. Bosclair even said of the PQ's significant drop in seats, "Sovereignty is something to wish for, but in the short term, it's not realizable." Perhaps a little food for thought...

As for Harper, well he says he will make no election move based on these results...but we'll have to see how things move forward. I dont think I am alone though when I say I am not eager to have a spring election - so I hope there manages to be some order for the next little bit. Then we can go at the Conservatives in the fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.